Not a fan of gluten and want to eliminate it from your diet completely? That’s a great idea! Whether you suffer from gluten intolerance or simply want to adopt a gluten-free lifestyle, leaving gluten has many advantages. Eliminating gluten from your diet altogether improves energy levels and bloating and reduces joint pain. It is also known to reduce depression and lower symptoms of lactose intolerance. Moreover, making this change can also reduce hair loss and improve skin health.
So does this mean you can’t have delicious meals like sandwiches and burgers? Absolutely not! You can still enjoy a tasty, wholesome burger while adopting a gluten-free lifestyle. This is because you can always purchase gluten-free bread and burger buns. There are also bread and bun varieties that are wheat-free. For example, you can get potato buns, buckwheat buns, and almond-flour buns. These options are entirely gluten-free and great for your health. Now relish a juicy burger with these buns instead of using the traditional white bread or brown bread buns that contain gluten.
Gluten-Free Burger Recipes
If you’re contemplating preparing your burgers at home, check out the gluten-free burger recipes below.
The Classic Gluten-Free Burger
- An onion, beef mince, chopped garlic, gluten-free breadcrumbs, wholegrain mustard, parsley, thyme, an egg, salt, pepper, and oil.
- You will need lettuce leaves, mayonnaise, sliced onion rings, potato buns, thinly sliced tomatoes, and sauerkraut for garnishing.
- Start by taking a medium-sized bowl and mixing all the burger ingredients together. To test the seasoning, you can take a teaspoon of the batter and fry it in olive oil. This will give you an idea.
- Pat the beef into burger patties. Each patty should be 1.5 cm thick. Chill the patties for 10 minutes.
- To cook the patties, you can either fry or grill them. Do so for three to five minutes on each side until they are done.
- Lather the gluten-free potato buns with some mayonnaise. If you have hummus, you can use that as well. Place the burger patty on the bun.
- Next, top with patty with vegetables. You can use sliced onions and tomatoes. You can also use sauerkraut. The more veggies you use, the better it is, as veggies are packed with fiber. This will also be very beneficial for your gut health.
- Place the top half of the bun and enjoy!
Tasteful Gluten-free Burgers
The ingredients you need are:
Ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, dried or fresh parsley, garlic salt, onion powder, lettuce, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, onions, and gluten-free buns.
- In a large bowl, mix the minced meat with seasoning. This includes the Worcestershire sauce, parsley, garlic salt, and onion powder. You can also add other seasonings you like, such as pepper or cayenne pepper, according to taste.
- Next, form the patties and grill them in the skillet on medium heat. Take about 10 minutes until the patties are well done from the center.
- Next, toast your buns. Use the same skillet to toast until the buns are warmed up nicely. You can lather your buns with any gluten-free sauce you like. You can use good quality mayonnaise and ketchup. You can also use whole grain mustard.
- Place the lettuce on the base bun. Place the patty over the lettuce. Pile your favorite toppings over the patty. You can use onions, tomatoes, and Swiss cheese for this one. Serve the burger immediately.
Tips to Make the Perfect Gluten-Free Burgers
Create Perfect Patties
Even though you can easily purchase pre-made burger patties, it’s always best to prepare your own. This way, you can choose good quality minced beef with the fat content you want. If going for vegetarian burgers, choose burgers that have moistness in them. Suitable options include beetroot, beans, and mushrooms.
Be Creative with Buns
Don’t hesitate to experiment with different gluten-free burger bun options! You can choose good-quality gluten-free buns or even buckwheat buns. Other bun options such as almond flour buns, oat flour buns, rice flour buns, and even fluffy potato buns can be used. All these varieties make great burgers.
Make Saucy Burgers
Experiment with sauce options and use as much sauce as you like! You can lather the bottom bun and the top bun with sauce if you want. There’s no rule when it comes to the sauce. You want your burger to be as moist as possible. Smoky barbeque sauces work well. A mixture of mayonnaise and sriracha or hot sauce is great too. Onion jam is also a great option loved by burger enthusiasts.
Pickles add tanginess and zest to a burger. Add pickled cucumbers or pickled jalapeños if you want something spicier. Ginger, Vietnamese coleslaw, or sauerkraut are all great options for toppings.
Make the Burgers Colorful
It’s best to always add at least two or three salad items to your burger. Make sure these items have a vibrant color and complement each other. The lettuce, tomato, and onion combination usually work. But you can also add mushrooms if you like.
Where’s the Cheese?
To make the best burgers, you have to include cheese. It’s a must that the cheese be melted into the meat patty. Blue cheese goes well with beef burgers. Danish feta works with lamb patties, and Swiss cheese pairs great with chicken patties.
Our Final Thoughts
These gluten-free burger recipes show us that these burgers can be just as delicious as traditional burgers. It’s always best to prepare your gluten-free burgers at home. This is because then you have complete control over the ingredients. You can make your burgers as fresh as possible and eliminate processed items. Homemade burgers also contain low levels of sodium and are healthier options. However, if in the mood to eat out, many restaurants and fast-food chains also offer gluten-free burgers on their menu. So there is no need to feel restricted when on a gluten-free diet. You can always enjoy a good gluten-free burger, whether at the home or while eating out.