Want to enjoy a burger but looking for meatless options? Try the wild rice burger. These burgers are super nutritious and packed with flavor. They are also very filling with a great crunchy texture. Whether you are a hard-core vegetarian or simply avoiding meat for a while, these burgers will win your over. Wild rice patties are simple and easy to prepare and can be fried lightly on the stovetop in minimal oil. Usually, wild rice patties are also freezer-friendly, so you can always prepare more and use them later. Wild rice burgers can be made with different types of buns as well. You can use whole-wheat buns and multi-grain buns. You can use gluten-free buns, potato buns, almond flour buns, and even oat flour buns for gluten-free options.
Let’s have a look at some great wild rice burger recipes below. These recipes are quick and easy to make at home.
Ultimate Wild Rice Burgers
The delicious wild rice burgers require a total of 30 minutes to make. This recipe makes six servings.
- Cooked wild rice – five cups
- Finely diced mushrooms – one cup
- Mayonnaise – One and a half cup
- Eggs – four
- Panko breadcrumbs – one cup
- Cumin – four tsp.
- Garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper – one tsp.
- Cayenne pepper – half tsp.
- Mix all the above-listed ingredients.
- Take a one-cup measuring cup. Scoop up this rice mixture and form patties. If you feel the mixture is too wet, you can simply add some more panko breadcrumbs. You can also place the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes until it sticks together.
- Take a nonstick skillet and pour two tbs of oil. Heat the pan on medium-high and place the wild rice patties. Fry the patties until they are nicely browned on both sides.
- Once the patties are done, put them aside. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and place it on the heat. Toast your burger buns. You can use whole-wheat buns or multi-grain buns. Potato buns are also an option as they are light and tasty.
- Once your buns are thoroughly warmed and lightly browned on the inside, start assembling your burgers.
- Lather a sauce of your choice on the pace bun. You can use barbeque sauce or a mixture of ketchup and sriracha.
- Place a layer of arugula on the base bun. You can also put some sliced avocados over the arugula. Next, place your wild rice patty. Add a slice of Muenster cheese over the wild rice patty.
- Place the top half of the bun over the patty.
- Place your burgers on the skillet once more. Cover the skillet with a lid and put on low heat for a few minutes. Through the steam, the cheese will melt, and the whole burger will hold together nicely.
- A wonderful way to serve these burgers is with roasted cauliflower. Brush raw cauliflower florets with some olive oil. Sprinkle with a tad of salt. Place the cauliflower in the air fryer until crisped.
Wild Rice Burgers with Tahini
These burgers are packed with fiber and are freezer-friendly. They are topped with sliced avocado and red onions and a delicious tahini sauce. They require a total of 1 hour 30 minutes to make and serve six. Each burger contains 345 calories.
- Wild rice blend – three-fourth cup
- Canned beans (cannelloni), drained and rinsed – one cup
- Eggs – two
- breadcrumbs – half cup
- Tahini – one-fourth cup
- Tomato paste – one tbs.
- Worcestershire sauce – 2 tbs.
- Smoked paprika, ground cumin, black pepper – one tsp.
- Salt – three fourth tsp.
- Oregano, dried -three-fourth tsp.
- Cooking oil – three tbs.
- Topping Options: sliced avocado, arugula or lettuce, pickled onions
- Tahini – three tbs.
- Thai sweet-chili sauce – two tsp
- Lemon juice – two tsp.
- Clove of garlic – one
- Warm water – two tbs.
- Start by cooking the wild rice. Take a medium-sized saucepan and put one and a half cups of water. Put the rice and cover it with a lid. Put on low heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and let it cool.
- Place the cannellini beans in a bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork. Add these beans to the cooked rice. Also, add the eggs, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, tahini, cumin, paprika, black pepper, salt, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix all these ingredients until well combined.
- Place this mixture in the refrigerator and chill for at least thirty minutes. You can also keep it overnight for the best results.
- To prepare the mixture, divide the mixture into one-third portions and form flat patties. Make six patties and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Next, take a large skillet and put two tbs of oil. Place the skillet on medium-high heat until the oil starts shimmering. Add half of the patties to the pan. Cook each side for 5 to 6 minutes until the patties are golden brown. Once these patties are done, put another tbs of oil and add the remaining patties.
- Next, prepare the tahini sauce. Combine the tahini, sweet chili sauce, minced garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl. Gradually add two tbs of warm water to this and whisk continuously. This will make the sauce creamy and smooth.
- Assemble the burgers. Lather the tahini sauce on both the top and base of the buns. Place one wild rice patty over the base bun and top with arugula, sliced avocado, and pickled onions. Cover with top bun and serve immediately.
Our Final Thoughts
Try out the wild rice burger recipe discussed above if you enjoy cooking at home. These recipes make delicious burgers that are fiber-rich and packed with flavor. Wild rice burgers are a delightful alternative to hamburgers. If you want something meatless or healthier than the traditional hamburger, wild rice burgers are excellent.