As the name suggests, a butter burger is a hamburger topped with lots of butter, with either the patty topped with butter and fried in it or the buns are toasted with butter. Butter burgers are hugely popular in the mid-western United States, especially in Wisconsin, where it is speculated they were invented. Today, numerous restaurants in Wisconsin serve butter burgers as a specialty.
What is a Butter Burger – History
It is said that Charlie Nagreen created the original butter in 1885. Nagreen fried the patties heavily in butter to make his burgers flavorful while serving them at the Seymour fair. To make his burgers stand out, he invented the butter burger.
Butter burgers can be prepared using different techniques. Either you can cook your patties in butter or melt herbed butter on the patties as they cook. You can also especially butter the buns as they bake or moisten the crown of the bun with butter as it toasts. Different restaurants use unique techniques to make this classic, succulent treat. A buttery burger with melted cheese and caramelized onions is surely an indulgence.
If you love burgers, butter burgers are a must-try. If you live in the mid-western US, you can easily have a butter burger from any burger house. If butter burgers are not readily available in the region you live in or enjoy making your food, you can also try making butter burgers at home.
Let’s discuss a great butter burger recipe below that you can easily prepare at home.
Delicious Wisconsin Butter Burgers
These burgers require a total time of 30 minutes and serve 4. Soaked in butter, these burgers will be loved by anyone who enjoys good food!
- Softened salted butter – ten tablespoons
- Chopped medium-sized yellow onion – one
- Water – one tablespoon
- Kosher Salt – three-fourth tablespoon
- Ground black pepper – three-fourth teaspoon
- Ground beef – one pound (Use 90% lean and 10% fat)
- Hamburger buns -four
- Vegetable oil – one teaspoon
- American Cheese – four slices
- Take a large skillet and place it on medium heat. Melt two tablespoons of butter in it. Add the chopped onions, water, and one-fourth teaspoon of salt to the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook for five minutes until the onions are soft. Remove the lid and cook for another 3 minutes until the onions are translucent and about to turn slightly brown.
- Put the onions on a plate and dive them into four parts. Set aside.
- Place the meat on a flat plate and divide it into four parts. Form a beef patty out of each portion. Sprinkle the patties generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place patties in the refrigerator for fifteen-twenty minutes.
- Slice the buns from in between. Spread two tbsp butter on the top bun of all four sets. Put aside.
- Take the same skillet you fried the onions and put some oil. Heat the skillet until the oil begins to smoke. Take a spatula, lift the patties and place them on the skillet. Cook the patties for three minutes without moving them from their place. Gently flip the patties over and cook for another minute.
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty and let the cheese melt. This will take 30 seconds to one minute.
- Place the beef patty on the base bun. Add the onions as a topping. Cover with the buttered bun.
- Take a wide, clean skillet and place it on the stove. Once the skillet is warmed, lift your burgers with a spatula and place them on the skillet. Lets the heat seep through the burgers and toast the buns. Put slight pressure with your spatula on the top of the burger so the burger holds together nicely.
- Place warmed burgers on a plate and serve immediately.
Serve your butter burger with a delectable side dish to make it even more wholesome. Here are some side dish options to have with a butter burger.
Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are salty, crispy, and sweet at the same time. They are a delicious accompaniment with butter burgers. You can easily make sweet potato fries in the air fryer or bake them. They are surely a great addition to the meat.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Garlicky and creamy mashed potatoes go well with any burger! These smooth and creamy mashed potatoes make your meal even more delectable. You can also drizzle the potatoes with your favorite sauce for some more flavor.
Corn on the Cob- Grilled
Grilled corn on the cob is packed with flavor and quick to make. If preparing your butter burger patty on the grill, just throw in the corn and get two things done at once!
Avocado and Corn Salad
Fresh avocado and corn salad are light and refreshing! It is the perfect accompaniment with a butter burger. Also, add tomatoes to the salad to give it some more color. A tangy dressing can pull the whole salad together and make it taste great.
Our Final Thoughts
What is a butter burger, you ask? Only the most delicious dish ever!
Butter burgers are loved by burger enthusiasts worldwide. These delicious burgers are packed with a buttery flavor that enhances the entire burger experience. The buns are warm and soft, and the patty is juicy and succulent. Perfect with a side dish of your choices such as a fresh salad, grilled corn, or sweet potato fries, butter burgers make a wholesome meal.
If you feel like indulging in a burger on the weekend, choose a butter burger, and you won’t be disappointed! You can get butter burgers from any good burger house. If you prefer making your food, you can try making the butter burger recipe detailed above.