Not a fan of meat but still want to enjoy a delicious burger? Now you can replace the burger patty with an egg and enjoy the perfect treat. You can have it as an ideal breakfast burger or an afternoon snack. However, if you don’t want to skip the meat, you can add the egg to the beef patty to make the juiciest burger you have ever had!
The egg acts as a binder to hold all the ingredients together. The egg adds juiciness and texture to a burger. If you have never had egg on a burger before, you must! Now, the question that arises is: what is this mouthwatering burger with an egg on top called?
A burger with an egg on top is called The Humpty Dumpty Burger. This burger is the perfect twist on a classic beef burger. The best part is that you can make it very easily at home. We have put together the best recipe for the Humpty dumpty burger! Keep reading to find out.
A Must-Try Recipe for the Perfect Humpty Dumpty Burger
This Humpty Dumpty Burger recipe is what burger dreams are made of. It is topped with caramelized onions to add a sweet and smoky twist, melted burger cheese, and a runny egg!
We guarantee that this will turn out to be one of the most delicious and loaded burgers you have ever tasted. The ground beef in this recipe is optional, so you can skip it if you want to have a delicious egg burger for breakfast.
You can prepare this burger using a grill pan, a stove, or a skillet. It will turn out perfect however you make it. However, if you ask us, nothing beats a burger cooked on the grill!
It takes under 30 minutes to prepare the Humpty Dumpty burger! This recipe makes four servings
Here is what you will need:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 5 large eggs (Poached or fried)
- Half a cup of minced onions
- A quarter cup of bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon of mustard sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Four Burger buns from your favorite bakery
- Rinsed ad crisped ice berg lettuce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- One thinly sliced tomato
- Burger cheese
Preparing the Poached Eggs
We have used poached eggs for this recipe as a golden runny egg works perfectly for this burger, but you can use a full-fried egg too.
It is very simple to poach an egg perfectly. Follow the simple steps below:
- Add water to a saucepan, turn up the heat and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Be very careful while doing this step–use a spatula or a large spoon to stir the boiling water in a circular motion. Do this very gently!
- Once the water starts to swirl, add the egg. The point of swirling the water is that it will allow the egg white to wrap around itself.
- Cook the egg for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove the egg from the saucepan using a slotted spoon. The perfectly poached eggs are now ready to be added to your burger.
Preparing the Burger Patty
Now it is time to prepare the beef patty. Here is how to do it!
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, one egg, minced onion, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper, and mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
- If you find your beef patty mixture too runny, add more bread crumbs to it as they act as a binding agent.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape them into round patties. Pro tip: while shaping the patties, add some oil to your hands to stop the mixture from sticking, making it easy to shape the patties.
- Heat your grill pan, spread some oil on it using an oil brush, and allow it to heat for about a minute.
- Once the grill pan is hot, add your beef patties and cook well on each side until the patties town brown, crispy and are no longer underdone on the inside (you can cut to test). Grill each side for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the patties are done, you can also melt the cheese. Reduce the flame to low and add a burger cheese slice to the burger patties.
- They should take about a minute to melt. Cover the patties with a lid to allow the cheese to be perfectly melted.
Preparing the Caramelized Onions
Caramelized onions are the secret to a smoky, sweet, and juicy burger, and they are really easy to prepare. This process is slightly time-consuming but worth it.
- Start by thinly slicing the onions. Aim for the onion rings to be even to allow them to cook at the same rate.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Once the butter starts to bubble, add the onions and a pinch of salt.
- Allow the onion to cook slowly –don’t rush them. Use a tong to turn the onions.
- Consciously toss them around until they become evenly soft and brown.
- If you find that some of the onions have stuck to the bottom of the pan, add a tablespoon of vinegar to deglaze. This step will also add more flavor to the caramelized onions.
Assembling the Humpty Dumpty Burger
This part is our favorite –it is time to put everything together.
- Spread mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, and ketchup, and lay the mushrooms and sliced tomatoes on the burger buns.
- Add the ice burg lettuce, the caramelized onion, and the burger patty with melted cheese.
- Add the cherry on top –the poached egg.
- Set the bug tops in place.
- Grill the burgers on the grill pan for a minute on each side, and Enjoy!
There is nothing more juicy and delicious than a burger with a runny egg. We hope you will try this recipe for the Humpty Dumpty Burger.
Visit our website for more delicious burger recipes! Happy cooking!