Who doesn’t love a juicy burger? Burgers are one of the world’s most popular foods globally, with almost 50 billion burgers served annually in the US alone. Technically the concept of a beef patty on a bun is quite straightforward, and also relatively recent, with burgers becoming a fast food staple in the boom after the Second World War. Over time, different variations of the traditional hamburger began evolving. One of them is the Steakhouse burger.
The patty is the main difference between a traditional and steakhouse burger. The classic burger Patty is made from ground beef. Steakhouse burger patties are made of actual cuts of delicious steak. These cuts are tender and full of flavor. Once you get the Pattie right, you can always go old-school and assemble your burger with lettuce, ketchup/mustard, onion, and cheese. Or you can add more flair to the burger and perhaps serve it with other toppings such as fried onions or jalapenos.
The Steakhouse burger has only recently gained quite a lot of popularity. A staple in the menu of steak houses and burger restaurants, this classic burger is a must-try for all burger lovers.
Difference in Patties
A traditional hamburger is made from ground beef. A steak burger varies because even though steaks are beef, the meat is available in different grades. To make the steakhouse burger, you need the right steak cut to make the patty. You can’t simply use leftover ground beef. The better the grade of meat, the juicier and more flavorful your patty is. Preparing a steak patty is quite an art, as steak patties don’t contain as much fat as regular beef patties. Hence they can dry out fast if not prepared right. Steakhouse burghers also have various subtypes depending on the type of steak used. Prime Rib, Sirloin, and Angus are the most popular steakhouse burgers in today’s steakhouses.
How to Make Your Own Steakhouse Burger
Want to try preparing your own steakhouse burger at home? If you have the experience creating hamburger patties, you will easily be able to prepare steak patties. The first step is to choose what type of steak to use.
Let’s look at several steakhouse Burger recipes you can easily prepare at home below.
Classic Steakhouse Burger
This Steakhouse burger is prepared with a quarter-pound grounded beef patty, mayonnaise, mustard, caramelized onions, and sharp cheddar. The patty can be prepared on an outdoor grill or a grill pan in the kitchen. The burger’s great taste also comes from caramelizing the mushrooms and onions on a pan with melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine vinegar. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can easily omit them and just grill the onions. The buns also need to be buttered and grilled for the burger to be delicious.
Tools needed to prepare this burger include a grill or grill pan (for the patty), a skillet, a Knife and cutting board, and a spatula.
- Add the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, onions, and red wine vinegar, and cover on low heat on a small skillet. Cook for ten minutes and add minced garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes and stir. Let it cook until the excess liquid is gone.
- While the mushrooms and onions are grilling, prepare the patties. A fat beef ratio of 85/15 is a good idea for this recipe. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the patties on both sides and drizzle some Worcestershire sauce on each side. Rub some mustard over this on each side of the patty.
- Heat your outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. You can also use a regular skillet if you don’t have either. Place the patties on the skillet and cook for five minutes. Turn and over and cook for another 3 minutes. Pace the cheese over the patty and turn off the heat. Cover the pan and let the cheese melt.
- Next, butter your buns and place them on a skillet until golden brown.
- To assemble the burger, lather mayonnaise and mustard on each bun and place the cheese-laden patty. Top with grilled onions and mushrooms, and place the top half on a bun to complete the burger.
Steak House Burger with Sauce
To prepare a Steakhouse burger with sauce, you will need mayonnaise, shredded parmesan cheese, horseradish, butter, garlic powder, ground beef, steak sauce, hamburger buns, onion soup mix, sliced mushrooms, Swiss cheese, fried onions, and lettuce and tomatoes.
- Start with preparing the buns. Combine the parmesan cheese, butter, and garlic powder and form a paste. Spread this over the buns and set them aside. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and horseradish and set them aside in a small bowl.
- Take another bowl and place the ground beef. Mix the ground beef with onion soup and steak sauce. Shape into four patties and set aside.
- First, moisten your grill with cooking oil and bring it to medium heat. Grill the burger patties for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until all the beef juices have cleared. Top the patties with Swiss cheese and grill for another 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted nicely.
- Place the buns on the grill and cut in half with the sliced side downwards. Grill for another minute until the bun is toasted.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions in a pan until golden brown. Assemble the burger by placing the patty on the burger, spreading the horseradish sauce, and topping with mushrooms and onions.
- You can also use tomatoes and lettuce if you wish.
How to Make a Steakhouse Burger Standout
If you have practice making burgers at home, making a steakhouse burger will be fairly simple. You can always add a little flair to your burger by experimenting with toppings. You can moisten your burger with herb butter, as herb butter works well with steak. Moreover, you can also add herb butter to the patty before grilling to make the buns extra flavorful. When preparing the steakhouse burger, you can also add spices such as red chili flakes or cayenne pepper to your ground beef. Another topping idea includes mushrooms, onions, and mozzarella cooked into a melted mixture and placed in the burger. These topping variations are sure to make your burger stand out.
Our Final Thoughts
That’s a wrap on the best steakhouse burger recipes. We hope you try out these mouthwatering, easy-to-make recipes for yourself!