Different cultures have adapted the classic hamburger in their unique way. Their interpretation of the burger reflects their taste buds and incorporates local ingredients. The Mexican burger is an example of this.
Mexican burgers typically consist of a succulent beef patty and toppings unique to the Mexican cuisine, such as creamy guacamole, juicy greens, rich cheese, and fresh pico de gallo. A crunchy side of tortilla chips makes Mexican burgers all the more tempting.
So, without further ado, let’s discuss some great Mexican burger recipes. These recipes are simple and quick to prepare. If you prefer your meals home-cooked, defiantly give this recipe a try!
The Classic Mexican Burger
Ground Beef minced, finely chopped garlic cloves, breadcrumbs, an egg, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, paprika, salt, pepper, burger buns, cheese
Ripe avocados, lemon, salt, and pepper
Pico de gallo Ingredients
Large tomatoes, red onion, fresh parsley, red chili, salt and pepper
To Prepare the Burgers
- Take a large bowl and combine all the burger patty ingredients. This includes the breadcrumbs, egg, herbs and spices, and ground beef. It’s best to combine the ingredients with your hands softly. Try not to work the meat too much, or it will get chewy.
- Fry a small amount of the mixture and check the seasoning.
- Form the mixture into patties and fry each side for 4 minutes or more until the patties are fully cooked. They should be nicely browned and charred. Place a slice of cheese on each patty and allow the cheese to melt.
To Prepare the Guacamole
- Remove the avocado from the skin and mash with a fork. Sprinkle salt and pepper and put some lemon juice. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
To Prepare the Pico de Gallo
- Dice the tomatoes and onion finely.
- Chop the parsley and Chilli. If you don’t want it to be too spicy, remove the seeds from the red Chilli.
- Mix all these ingredients and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Burgers
- Toast the burger buns on a pan until soft and warm.
- Place the burger patty with melted cheese on the base bun. Top with a layer of guacamole and the pico de gallo. Cover with a top bun and enjoy immediately.
Spicy Mexican Burgers
This spicy Mexican burger is moist and flavorful. It can be prepared with ground beef, turkey, and even pork. This burger comes out best if you prepare the patties at least one day before they are cooked.
Dried guajillo Chile, apple-cider vinegar, sweet paprika, Chile powder, onion powder, ground coriander, dry oregano, ground cumin, grated nutmeg, ground black pepper, minced garlic, salt, vegetable oil, ground beef, sliced cheese, pico de gallo, and chipotle mayonnaise.
Lettuce, dill pickles, sliced tomatoes, lime wedges.
- Take your guajillo Chilli and tear it from in between. Remove the seeds and stem. Place the Chilli in ¼ cup of vinegar for an hour. Take Chilli out and finely chop. Put aside.
- In a skillet, take the dry spices and toast them until fragrant. These spices include paprika, Chilli, garlic and onion powder, oregano, cumin, nutmeg, and black pepper. Put aside to cool.
- Take a large bowl and combine the meat and toasted spices. Be careful not to over mix the meat. Form ¾ inch thick patties and refrigerate for up to 2 days or 24 hours.
- When preparing the patties, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and fry them in a skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the patties until. This will take 4 minutes or more.
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger patty and allow the cheese to melt.
- Transfer the burgers to a plate and tent the plate with foil to keep it warm.
- Take paper towels and wipe the pan. Remove all remaining browned bits of meat.
- Slice the buns in half and place them on the hot pan. Toast until lightly browned. This will take about 1-2 minutes.
To Assemble the Burgers
Place the patty with melted cheese on the bottom bun. Top the patty with pico de gallo. Then place the tomato slices, lettuce, lime wedges, and pickles. Lather some chipotle mayo on the top bun and cover the burger. Serve immediately.
Which Burger Buns to Use?
Depending on your preference, you can use many different types of buns for your burger. You can use classic sesame seeds buns widely available in grocery stores. They are also quite inexpensive. If you like your burgers to have a sweeter flavor, Brioche buns are a good idea. These buns and soft and moist and make any burger super delicious. If you like your buns to be a little dense, pretzel buns are suitable. These buns are least likely to get moist.
If avoiding gluten go for gluten-free buns. Potato buns are an excellent option; they are light, soft, and gluten-free. You can also use almond flour buns or oat flour buns. These buns are light, easy to digest and taste wonderful.
Our Final Thoughts
If you love burgers, give this Mexican burger recipe a go. Both the recipes discussed are simple and easy to prepare and taste delicious. It’s a great idea to prepare burgers at home instead of ordering in cafes and restaurants. This is because homemade burgers are the healthier option. They contain fewer calories and lesser sodium.
Also, when you prepare your food, you have absolute control over the ingredients. You can always use healthier ingredients and decrease the calorie count. You can also prepare burgers for your family and friends to enjoy at a reasonable cost. These Mexican burger recipes make excellent burgers you can enjoy with your loved ones over a lazy weekend. Serve these burgers with a side of tortilla chips and some cold beer or soda to enjoy fully.