The classic hamburger has definitely taken twists to adapt to different regions. From Indian spiced burgers to Mexican Chili burgers, there are numerous varieties. Texas-style burgers are one of a kind. With special importance given to the meat and the use of local sauces, these burgers are undoubtedly impressive. The assembly of Texas-style burgers is also unique. Toppings options include pickled jalapenos, barbeque chips, and eclectic sauces. These sauces are sure to spice up your taste buds with their mouth-watering flavor and touch of spice. Sauces such as strong barbeque sauce, tangy chili, and hot lime sauce surely jazz up the burger.
Texans take their burgers quite seriously! The combination of burgers, barbeques, and chips goes unparalleled in Texas! Washing down those delicious burgers with a cold beer or Texas tea completes the Texas burger experience. When preparing burgers, all steps require attention, from creating the patty mixture to grilling the meat perfectly to assembling the burger. Live up those hot Texas days with delicious Texas-style burgers smothered in sauce and accompanying creamy coleslaw.
In this blog, let’s look at some simple and easy Texas burger recipes. These recipes make delicious burgers perfect for your next weekend barbeque!
Classic Texas Burgers
Now prepare these classic Texas burgers at home for a taste of Texas itself! The key to making these burgers perfect is how you work the raw materials and how well you assemble the burger. This recipe makes four servings.
- One and a half-pound ground chuck
- Two tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- One tbs. Texas meat rub mixture
- Four slices of Cheddar cheese – longhorn style or mild cheddar
- One medium-sized jalapeño
- Two Oz butter
- 4 Burger buns
For The Topping
- Lettuce leaves
- Mustard – course-grained
- Thinly sliced onions
- thinly sliced tomatoes
- Start by preheating your outdoor grill to medium-high and coat with oil.
- Take the ground chuck and form four-inch patties. Once the patties are formed, drizzle them with Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle the Texas meat rub on them.
- Grill on patties on the grill – over medium-high range. Grill each side for two-three minutes until the patties reach the level of doneness you want. Place a slice of cheese on the patties and grill for another minute until the cheese melts.
- Remove the patties from the grill and top them with sliced jalapenos. Let the patties stand for five minutes.
- Butter the buns and toast them on the grill until soft and lightly browned.
- Lather the buns with mustard.
- Place the lettuce on the bottom bun and place the patty over it. Top with sliced onions and tomatoes.
Texas Tailgate Burgers
This recipe prepares six burgers and requires a cook and prep time of 30 minutes.
- Ground Chuck – two lbs.
- Chopped pickled jalapeños – one cup
- Kosher salt – one tsp.
- Black pepper – one tsp.
- Chili powder – one tsp.
- Barbeque sauce – one and a half cup
- Shredded smoke sharp cheddar – two cups
- Sweet onion, diced – half cup
- burger buns – six
- Barbeque flavored potato chips
- Dill pickles – one piece
- Chopped iceberg lettuce – a handful
- Start by heating your grill to medium-high and brush with oil so the patties don’t stick.
- Next – prepare the patties. To do this, take a large bowl and combine the ground chuck, jalapenos, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Shape six patties that fit the bun size. Place the patties on a tray and cover them with a plastic wrap loosely.
- Now you have to prepare the barbeque cheese. Mix the onions, barbeque sauce, and cheese and put it aside. Don’t put this in the refrigerator as you don’t want it to be too cold.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook. Cook each side for five to seven minutes for a medium level of doneness.
- Three minutes after the patties are done, place the barbeque-cheese mixture on each patty in equal amounts.
- Two minutes before the patties are done, place the buns in the oven to toast them. Slice the buns in half and toast the outer side of the buns.
- Now you have to assemble the burgers. Start by placing an even layer of barbeque chips on the base bun. Place the cheese-covered beef patty over the chips. Put a layer of pickles over the patty and an equal amount of lettuce. Cover with the top half of the burger bun and enjoy.
Spicy Texas Burgers
This recipe makes four burgers and requires a preparation and cooking time of 30 minutes.
- Ground Beef – one and a half pounds
- Four tbs. of chili and hot lime sauce – choose your favorite
- Two tbs. ground cumin
- Two tbs. chili powder
- Four hamburger buns, sliced and toasted
- One sliced tomato
- Lettuce leaves
- Place the ground beef in a bowl. Mix the beef with the hot sauce, chili powder, and cumin powder.
- Shape this mixture into four thick patties.
- Place the burgers in a preheated grill for a total time of eleven to thirteen minutes. Flip them over once. Take a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature of the burgers. The temperature should reach 160 degrees F before you take them off. The center of the burger should no longer be a pin in color, and the juices on the grill should have cleared.
- Baste the patty in chili and hot lime sauce.
- Assemble the burgers. To do so, place the lettuce leaves on the base of the burger. Put on the hot sauce and slathered patty over the lettuce. Top with sliced tomatoes and onions. Cover the top half of the bun and serve the burgers.
Our Final Thoughts
Do try preparing these Texas burger recipes at home for yourself or your loved ones. These recipes are also perfect to use for a weekend barbeque! Rest assured, your burgers will be a great hit! Whether you are having a small barbeque with the immediate family or a larger event with extended family or friends coming over, you can utilize any one of these three Texas-style burger recipes.