With the rise of fast food and the popularity of burgers, variations of the classic hamburger have come into existence. Burger patties can now be made through different techniques and methods. They can also be made from red and white meat, and toppings can be experimented with.
Let’s discuss the best smokey burger recipes in this blog.
But first, what are smokey burgers?
A smokey burger consists of a quarter-pound burger patty smoked to perfection. The patty is soaked in smoke and is deliciously full of flavor, and is best when topped with a perfectly melted cheese slice. It is served on toasted and buttered buns slathered with sauce and toppings, making it the perfect indulgence for a lazy weekend.
Smokey Burger Recipes
Let’s have a look at some mouthwatering smokey burger recipes below.
Large Smokey Burgers
These smokey burgers take a total of 35 minutes to prepare. They are delicious and packed with flavor. They are perfect for a lazy weekend of indulgence. Each burger contains a total of 537 calories.
Ground beef sirloin, grated onion, liquid smoke flavoring, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, canned chipotle peppers sauce, salt, pepper, sharp cheddar, and burger buns.
- Start by preheating the outdoor grill on medium-high heat.
- Prepare the burger patties. Take a large bowl and place the ground beef. Combine the onion, seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle pepper sauce, liquid smoke, grill seasoning, and garlic. Form the burger patties and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Make a dent over each burger patty with your thumb. This will prevent the burger from shrinking.
- Place the burgers on the preheated grill and cook them until they are no longer pink in the middle. Place a slice of sharp cheddar over each patty and grill for another minute.
- Place the patties on the buns and slather them with mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard. You can add toppings of your choice, such as sliced onions, tomatoes, and lettuce leaves. Serve while hot.
The Ultimate Smokey Burger
This mouthwatering smokey burger is the ultimate delight. You can easily prepare this burger at home for yourself and your family.
Grass-fed ground beef (Go for 78%-22% beef to fat ratio), salt, pepper, smoked beef brisket, BBQ sauce, smoked gouda cheese, and sesame seeds.
Make Beef Brisket
Salt, pepper, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, beef brisket
To Make BBQ Sauce
diced bacon, garlic, ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, toasted and ground coriander seeds, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
Prepare Smoked Beef Brisket
- Preheat a smoker to 180 degrees F., Take a medium-sized bowl and combine the salt, pepper, sugar, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika; rub the dry rub evenly over the brisket. Wrap the brisket in tin foil and place it in a baking pan. Smoke for 8-12 hours until the meat falls apart.
Prepare the BBQ Sauce
Take a large saucepan and cook the bacon on medium-high heat until the fat renders. Add the garlic to this and cook for two more minutes until softened. Add the molasses, ketchup, vinegar, black pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds for an hour on low heat. When cooled, pour the mixture into a food processor. Puree until smooth.
Prepare the Burgers
- Take a flat cast-iron skillet and preheat over medium heat.
- Take the ground beef and form it into patties. Sprinkle the patties with salt and pepper.
- Place the patties on the skillet and sear on both sides. Flip the patties only once until medium-rare.
- Turn the broiler to low and put it aside.
- Top the burger patties with smoked brisket, BBQ sauce, and cheese. Place these patties under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Remove from broiler and let the patties rest.
- Take Brioche buns and lightly toast them under the broiler.
- Lather the buns with BBQ sauce and place the patties on the bun. Top with Iceberg lettuce, sliced onions, and jalapenos. Cover with the top half of the bun and form the burger. Serve while warm.
Tips to Prepare Perfect Smokey Burgers
- Smoking is an excellent way to prepare burgers. Smoking the burger patty makes it smoky and crispy and gives it a great char.
- When preparing your burgers, try grinding your meat. This way, you get to grind the perfect portion of muscle you want and control the meat to fat ratio. If you are buying from the grocery store, try to buy in-house ground meat that was preferably ground on the same day. The best ratio is 85% meat and 15% fat. If you want your patties to be juicer and bigger, go for 80% meat and 20% fat.
- When preparing your patties, try to work the meat as less as possible. Shape at least half-inch-thick patties that are broader than your burger buns because the patties tend to shrink while cooking.
- It’s always best to season your patties with salt and pepper once they are formed instead of before because salt can draw moisture out of the burger.
- When smoking the patties, use strong wood such as hickory or oak. The burgers won’t be smoked for a long time, so you want the smoke to influence the meat as much as you can.
- When smoking your burger, check the internal temperature of the patty instead of going by its color. Smoking the burger can cause a chemical reaction that can turn the patty pink. A meat thermometer will tell you when the patty is fully cooked, even if it seems too pink.
Our Final Thoughts
Smoking is a great way to prepare hamburgers. These burgers need minimal ingredients and have an incredible taste you will savor for a long time. Choosing the right ground beef mixture is crucial. You need to get the meat to fat ratio right to make juicy patties. The seasoning on the patties needs to be minimal so that the smokey taste can stand out. It’s also imperative to choose the right wood while smoking the burgers as you don’t want the wood to overpower the flavor or be too subtle. We hope these smokey burger recipes and tips help you create the perfect juiciest burgers for an excellent weekend treat!