With restaurants and other eateries opening back up again after the COVID-19 pandemic, there are many interesting things on the horizon for food lovers and pubs alike. People have missed out on two years’ worth of pub crawling and food tasting, and they are doing absolutely everything to make up for it. Most restaurants are converting into pub-style areas to serve the most people possible. One of the most typical delicacies of any pub is the pub burger.
Do you want to make your pub burger version for a game night? Look no further because we have listed a couple of recipes to help you make the best kind of pub burger in town.
What Is a Pub Burger?
A Pub Burger is essentially something you would get at a pub or a bar. It’s not fancy and doesn’t mess around at all. You can have a UK pub burger or a US pub burger, and sans a few nuances, the burgers are pretty much the same. You are meant to have these burgers with whatever craft beer the bar has on tap.
The pub burger is not limited to a particular place. However, the place changes the ingredients in a pub burger. You can travel to seven different countries that serve alcohol and ask for a pub burger, and you would get a further iteration in each one. These burgers generally have a lot more meat, which is more oval than smashed. The patty is full and oozing with cheese. The burger is also more likely to be broiled than grilled in the UK.
Pub Burger Recipes
Now that you know what a pub burger is, we can proceed to the recipes of the different pub burgers you can make. We’ll cover the two places where pub burgers are prevalent, i.e., the US and the UK.
American Pub Burger Recipe
- ½ teaspoon odorless oil like canola, sunflower, or a dollop of unsalted butter
- 2 lbs ground beef chuck, at least 20 percent fat
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Cheese Slices (the cheese must be of your preference)
- Four soft hamburger buns
- Lettuce leaves,
- sliced tomatoes
- condiments, as you want
- Begin by adding the fat to a large iron skillet or any pan of your preference at medium heat.
- Take the beef and divide it into four different piles. These should be at least 8 ounces in weight. However, they can be heavier. You should then wear rubber gloves to try and shape them into patties that are around 3.5 inches in diameter. Don’t smash these patties. They should appear like slightly patted meatballs. Make sure you season consistently with salt and pepper as you go.
- Get the heat underneath the skillet to a high and place the burgers into the skillet tohave a lot of distance between them. Let them cook and sear as much as possible for at least three minutes. Don’t try to move them at all. Flip the burgers using a spatula once it seems like enough time has passed. Now is also the best time to place the cheese slices on the hamburgers.
- Depending on the kind of cook you want on the meat, you should let the burgers cook for an extra three to four minutes. If you’re going to cook them well, you’ll have to cook them on the grill for longer. Once you feel like you’re getting the meat to the right cook, you should remove the burger from the skillet and let it rest for five minutes.
- As the meat is resting, take the buns and lightly toast them. Once toasted, keep the burgers on the buns and top them with whatever condiments you prefer. You can opt for chipotle mayo, add some jalapenos and make it a Tex-Mex American Pub burger.
UK Pub Burger
- 5 lb Ground Beef
- 5 lb Ground Pork
- 5-2 tbsp Angelic Devil Seasoning or your favorite seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sauce (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 Large Red Onion
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of water
- Five slices of Thick Cut Bacon sliced in half
- Five portions of Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Crunchy Onions
- 1 cup Arugula
- 1/4-1/2 cup Bread and Butter Pickles
- 5 Pretzel Buns
Prep Your Burger Patties
- Take a large bowl and add the ground beef and pork to it. Make sure you mix it around with your hand before seasoning it with salt, pepper, and the whiskey barbecue sauce.
- Thoroughly combine the patty mixture so that all seasonings are well distributed into the meat. However, don’t go overboard with the mixing. You can then separate the meat according to the number of patties you’ll make. We suggest that you get out a mass balance and measure the patties into 8 ounces.
- Take the patties and put them on a lined baking sheet. Once on the baking sheet, shift to the freezer or the fridge to refrigerate for thirty to forty-five minutes.
- Let the burger marinate as you get to work on the other toppings. Prepare the bacon and ensure that it’s to your taste and texture.
Preparing Caramelized Onions
- Use a mandolin to slice the onions
- In a pan, you should add a dollop of butter.
- Let the onions caramelize until they are soft and brown.
- If it seems like the onions are sticking to the pan, you may want to add regular bouts of water to the pan to cook in their time.
- Once the onions look cooked, set them aside.
Cooking the UK Pub Burger
- Take a cast-iron skillet or any other pan of your choice
- Move the marinated burgers out of the fridge.
- Let the pan sizzle on medium heat, and then add burger patties to the pan to sear.
- Use a spatula to properly shape the patties and thin them as per your preference.
- Let the patties sear without interruption for five minutes.
- Once you feel like the burger has reached the necessary temperature, you can place the cheese on top and remove it from heat.
- Leave the cooked burgers to rest.
Assembling the UK Pub Burger
- Place the pretzel bun on the counter and add some arugula to it.
- Next, you can add the burger patty add some more cheese and sauce.
- Add the crunchy bacon strips on top of the patty,
- Take the caramelized onions and let them lay on the burger. Add more arugula if you need it.
- For best results, serve immediately and enjoy!
We hope these pub burger recipes allow you to have the perfect pub burger in the comfort of your home or whenever your friends visit. Enjoy!