Not in the mood for red meat or chicken? Have a fish burger! Fish burgers are a significant variation of classic hamburgers. Interestingly enough, you can use various types of fish to create the fish patty. While codfish is a standard option, you can also use haddock, tilapia, and Basa fish. In fact, an Alaskan pollock is also an excellent option.
Fish burgers are usually enjoyed with tarter sauce and soft bread buns, are quick and easy to make, and are delightfully tasteful.
So without further ado, let’s discuss a quick and easy fish burger recipe below.
The Crispy Fish Burger
This crispy fish burger is packed with flavor. The fish patty is made from a panko-breaded codfish fillet and is super light and fluffy. Resembling the Mcdonald’s Fish-o-fillet in flavor, this simple burger is easy to make. It’s also a great alternative to beef burgers.
Panko breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lettuce, cayenne pepper, vegetable oil, brioche buns.
For the Sauce
Mayonnaise, fresh or dried dill, mustard, lemon juice, salt, water
- Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides. Make sure the fish is patted dry before beginning.
- Take a bowl and crack the eggs. Add the dried spices to the bowl. These include the cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
- Put the panko breadcrumbs in another bowl. Dip the fish in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs. Do this twice. Shake the fish for any excess crumbs and place it on a plate.
- Heat the oil and pan-fry the fish. Shallow fry the fish for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- To make the sauce, add the mayonnaise, dill, mustard, and lemon juice to a small bowl and mix. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or water.
- Toast the buns if you prefer, or you can also use them plain. Spread the sauce on both sides of the burger. First, place the lettuce on the base bun, then the fish patty. Cover the burger and enjoy it while hot.
- To add variety to the burger, you can also top it with sliced tomatoes, avocado, or cheese.
How to Make Tartar Sauce at Home
- To make the great tarter sauce at home will, can use sour cream, dill, mayonnaise, lemon, capers, garlic, salt and pepper
- Put the garlic, capers, and dill in the food processor. Then add the sour cream and mayonnaise, salt, and pepper and combine some more.
- You will have perfect and delicious tartar sauce at home within minutes.
- If you are not a fan of sour cream, you can also use Greek yogurt. Don’t make the mistake of using regular yogurt as it has too much water. Drain regular yogurt in cheesecloth to turn it into Greek yogurt.
- If you don’t like capers, you can also use pickled jalapenos, dill pickles, or gherkins.
Tips to Keep Your Fish Burgers Warm
- If you are preparing your burgers in batches, it’s imperative to keep them warm until all are done and ready to serve.
- Once the burgers are made, immediately wrap them in foil.
- Preheat your oven to 60 degrees C and place your wrapped burgers in the oven until they are ready to serve.
- If you have prepared accompaniments such as French fries or wedges, place them on a tray in the oven.
- If you want to reheat burgers in the microwave instead of an oven, wrap the burgers up in wax paper instead of foil.
Storing the Burgers
- Once your burgers are cooked, you can keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat and consume them whenever you like during this period.
- You can also freeze the unfried fillets to use them later. If your fish fillet batter contains lemon and vinegar, the fish will be within the cooking process while in the freezer. Keep the unfried fillets in the freezer for up to a week. To thaw the fish, simply leave it on the countertop for ten minutes and then fry them.
You can serve your fish burgers with a variety of side dishes.
- Potato fries are a given. You can deep fry your fries or prepare them in the air fryer. Sprinkle with some rick salt, and you have a simple yet delicious side dish.
- A simple salad is also a great side dish. You need lettuce leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and thinly shaved carrots. Drizzle some olive oil on the salad and sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper for a kick.
- You can also serve your fish burgers with some roasted sweet potatoes. Simply sprinkle your sweet potatoes with some seasoning and roast in the oven until soft.
- Serving your fish burgers with coleslaw is also a great idea. Coleslaw is light, crunchy, refreshing, and perfect for a summer side dish. You will need sliced cabbage, tangy mustard, sour cream, and mayonnaise to make the ultimate coleslaw.
Are Fish Burgers Healthy?
Fish burgers are healthier than beef burgers, especially if the fish is baked instead of fried. Shallow frying the fish is also healthier than deep-frying it. You can also prepare your fish patty in the air fryer to make it crispy and healthy.
Our Final Thoughts
Fish burgers are a light alternative to beef and chicken burgers. They are simple and easy to make and can be enjoyed by the whole family. You can serve your fish burger with a delicious side dish, like fries, salad, or coleslaw. An ice-cold soda completes this perfect summer meal. Today you can easily find fish burgers in many fast-food chains as well. The McDonalds Fish-o-Fillet burger is quite a popular option. But preparing your burger at home is usually healthier and more cost-effective. When making food at home, you completely control the ingredients and can use what you like. Try this fish burger recipe at home, and you will not be disappointed!