Cabbage burgers consist of tasty ground beef and cabbage filling encased in a buttered bread bun. These interesting burgers make a comforting and satisfying meal that you can have at the dinner table or while on the go. The origins of the cabbage burger date back to the 19th century with the arrival of German-Russian immigrants in America. Most of these immigrants settled along the Nebraska and Kansas plains. They held a love of cabbage and introduced cabbage burgers to the region. These burgers have been hugely popular in Nebraska, Kansas, and surrounding regions. They are a common item on dinner tables and in the school cafeteria and are also sold in church fundraisers and school bake sales.
Interested in trying out this delectable local cuisine item? Why not make cabbage burgers at home? Check out these three easy-to-make cabbage burger recipes.
Tasty Cabbage Burgers
This recipe requires 20 minutes to prepare and yields 18 cabbage burgers.
- Frozen bread dough, thawed -one pound
- Ground Beef – One and a half-pound
- Water – One tablespoon and one teaspoon
- Chopped cabbage head – one-third
- Chopped large onion – one-third
- Chopped garlic – two-third clove
- salt and pepper
- Melted butter -one tablespoon
- Begin by preheating your oven to 190 degrees C.
- Divide your thawed bread dough into six equal pieces and shape it into balls.
- Next, take a medium-sized pot and put a little oil. When the oil is heated, add the ground beef. Cook the beef a little and crumble it slightly with your spatula. Add the water, garlic, onion, and cabbage to the beef. Cook on medium-low heat until the beef is well browned and the cabbage is softened. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and drain off any excess liquid. Set the mixture aside.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface. Roll out your dough balls in squares measuring approx. five inches. Place at least three-fourths cup of the beef and cabbage mixture in the center. Fold the dough and pinch it together to seal.
- Place these squares on a baking tray with the pinched side down.
- Bake the squares for 15-18 minutes until perfectly golden brown. Remove the squares from the oven and brush them with some melted butter.
- Serve while hot.
Classic German Cabbage Burgers
This classic recipe requires a total time of one hour and ten minutes. It makes four burgers. Each burger contains 1235 calories.
- Ground beef – one pound
- Chopped large onion – one
- Butter – three tablespoons
- Frozen Dinner rolls (twelve and a half ounces)
- Shredded cabbage – one head
- Black pepper
- Some more melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 374 degrees f.
- Next, place a large skillet on the stove and melt three tbs. of butter. Add the beef, onions, and cabbage to the skillet.
- Cook the mixture until the beef is half cooked and the cabbage is nearly done. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain any excess liquid from the mixture.
- Take a rolling pin and roll out the dinner rolls into small squares.
- Place two to three heaping teaspoons of the beef and cabbage mixture on each square. Turn over one side of the square and pinch it closed with the other side.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes until nicely golden brown.
- Take the cabbage burgers out and brush with melted butter. Serve immediately.
- You can serve these cabbage burgers with melted cheese, your favorite sauce, or cheesy fries.
Grandma’s Cabbage Burgers
This recipe takes a total time of 2 hrs 35 minutes and makes five dozen cabbage burgers.
- Ground beef – 6lbs.
- Black pepper and salt
- Garlic salt
- Minced garlic – 5 tablespoons
- Onions – 21 grams
- Cabbage heads – 4 – chopped
- Bread dough – 5 loaves
- Cubed potatoes (to add in filling if you wish)
- Warm water
- Dry yeast – one tablespoon
- Sugar – one tbsp
- Sugar – one-fourth cup
- Powder milk – one-third cup
- Salt – one tsp.
- Egg – one
- Butter or oil – one-fourth cup
- Flour three cups
- Start by making your dough. Mix the yeast and sugar in one cup of water until dissolved. Put in the bread machine. Add the beaten egg, butter, and dry ingredients to the bread machine.
- Adjust the dough setting and begin dough making process. Make your dough in batches.
- While the dough is being made, make the filling. Cook the ground meat in a skillet and add garlic, garlic salt, black pepper, salt, and onions to the meat. Drain the mixture.
- Chop medium-sized chunks of cabbage. Add them to the beef mixture and add seasoning. Add another half cup of water and let simmer until the cabbage becomes tender.
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface and cut it into squares.
- Place half a cup of filling in each square and punch the square closed. Place the squares on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The burgers should be nicely browned.
- Lightly brush with butter and serve.
Our Final Thoughts
Different regions have created their take on burgers. The famed cabbage burger is buttery, soft, and succulent. These melt-in-your-mouth burgers have a buttered crust and a flavorful filling of ground beef, onions, and soft cabbage. They are a perfect mid-meal snack and can also be a part of your child’s school lunch. You can also make a full lunch or dinner meal out of cabbage burgers with a sideline of cheesy fries or baked potato wedges. Try out the cabbage burger recipe discussed in this blog for some easy-to-make, delicious burgers.