Black bean burgers have always attracted people with their distinctive and unique flavor. Their tender and crispy texture, packed with the characteristic flavor of black beans, make them a highly popular choice among veggie burger lovers.
Black bean burgers are comparatively lower in cholesterol and fats and also rich in fiber.
Even though they are nothing like traditional beef burgers, they are still considered equally tasty because of their great texture and robust flavor.
What’s even better than a regular veggie burger? A black bean smashburger with a crispy brown crust and a thin, flavorful patty.
Here is the key to making killer smashburgers: Do not let extra moisture in your burger mix, and bake the black beans for 15 minutes to dry the moisture and prevent them from being mushy.
Here we are presenting a great black bean burger smashburger recipe to try out the next time you decide to treat yourself to these delicious burgers.
Tips to Make Great Smash Burgers
- Bake the canned black beans for 15 minutes before preparing the patties
- Ground flaxseeds, bread crumbs, and oats are excellent binders for vegan burgers
- Add pickled cucumbers, hummus, mango salsa, roasted brussels, or grilled pineapples to take your veggie burger to the next level
- Roasted walnuts or cashews add a unique texture and structure to your burger
- Potato chips are always the best side dish to pair your burgers with
- You can also prepare a tangy pasta salad, coleslaw, or quinoa salad to go with your burgers
What You’ll Need?
- ½ Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp. ground cumin
- ½ Tsp. ground coriander
- 1 block of pepper Jack cheese
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- Brioche buns
- Unsalted butter
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Beefsteak tomato
- Add 15 oz. of drained, rinsed, and cooked black beans to a food processor. Add ½ cup of dried breadcrumbs to it, and lightly pulse the mixture in the food processor. This will combine the ingredients and give it a binding texture that holds the ingredients together without making them stick to your hands. If you do not have a food processor, you can chop the beans with a sharp knife and mix them well with the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer this mixture to a large bowl. Add ½ tsp. of black pepper and ¾ tsp. of kosher salt, and mix them. You can also add spices like ground cumin or coriander to provide more flavor to your burger mix.
- Now we need something to bind the mixture together. For this, we will add one large egg, beaten and blended.
- Now slowly mix the egg with the dry burger mixture. Add more quantities of egg if the mixture is not sticking properly. However, you can add more breadcrumbs if it gets really moist and sticky.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil in your skillet pan, add finely chopped red onion, and sprinkle kosher salt on top. Cook it on medium heat until the onion softens. Now,add chopped garlic cloves and let it cook for two more minutes. You can add more spices if you like.
- Now set aside the skillet pan mixture for 5 minutes, add it to your black bean mixture, and combine them until you get a nice blend of ingredients.
- Take equal quantities out of the mixture and roll it between your hands to make balls of equal size.
- Put a cast iron skillet over the stove and lightly brush some unsalted butter or any other vegetable oil you desire.
- Once the skillet is hot, you can go ahead and place one of the black beans burger balls on the stove. Cover each ball with parchment paper and lightly smash it with a potato masher, or spatula, till it forms a thin and round burger patty. Do not use your hands to create the thin patties.
- Allow all the burger patties to cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, flipping them as soon as they get a crispy surface.
- Add a handful of shredded cheese or a thin block of pepper jack cheese on top of each patty while it is still cooking to let it melt nicely.
- You can also place two burger patties on top of each other, with a layer of cheese between them. This will create a rich and gooey center between the two patties and make your burgers even more delicious.
- Now,it is time to prepare the sauce for your burgers!. Add ½ cup mayonnaise and 2 tbsp. of the adobo sauce in a bowl. You can even add finely chopped red onion to the sauce for an extra kick.
- Toast your brioche buns, and spread this sauce on the sides of both buns.
- Add the beefsteak tomatoes and iceberg lettuce on top of the buns. Place your black bean burger patty, and slather some more sauce before placing the other toasted bun on top.
Some Tips to Consider While Cooking These Black Bean Veggie Burgers:
- When cooking the burger patties on the skillet, work in small batches and add more oil to the pan if it looks dry.
- Cook the patties until they are deep brown.
- Smashing them with a spatula will ensure that the burger patties are cooked quickly and get a crispy surface and edges.
- After adding cheese on top of your burger patty, you can either cover it with a lid to melt the cheese or add another hot burger patty on top of the cheese so that it melts between them.
- Spread a generous amount of sauce on both sides of the toasted buns, as well as add an extra amount between your patty and the lettuce or tomatoes.
Smash burgers might not be as juicy as a traditional beef burger, but that doesn’t mean they are less delicious. The thin, crispy, and flavorful patties, topped with the delicious sauce, melted cheese, and tomatoes, will burst with rich flavors in your mouth as soon as you take a bite. Try this special recipe for amazing black bean burgers, and we guarantee you’ll keep coming back to try it again and share it with your other veggie-burger-loving friends.